1.15.2014

Clean Living

January is traditionally a time for resetting the calendar and making promises to be a better person.

I am no exception. After the excess of the holiday I usually suffer a hangover of sorts from the buying frenzy, excess socializing and big foods. I don't want to sound like Scrooge here… I do enjoy it all -- in moderation.

I am keeping a food diary again….   It is a revealing exercise into my habits and encourages me to make better choices if I'm writing it down!

Focussing on the evening family meal, this is what we've done lately:

Moroccan rice stuffed tomatoes
Marinara Spaghetti
Cauliflower Cheese Soup (original Moosewood Cookbook version)
Pork Stirfry on noodles with LOADS of bright veggies)
Homemade Chili
BLT's with tomato soup and green salad
Fish tacos (soft)
Easy Quiche with cheddar, bacon, peppers, tomatoes (affectionate nicknamed "egg pie")
Stinging Nettle Basil Gnocchi
Calamari rings sauteed in garlic lemon served on wilted spinach with a side of brown rice

Sunday was a special event, my Father in Law brought dinner over: Braised lamb shanks with an amazing pureed vegetable sauce, sheeps-cheese & parsley mashed potatoes, herbed cauliflower and greek style green salad.

I prefer to look at my favourite grocery store sales flyer and make meal plans. But often to save a bit of money I will pick up on-date discounted meat and throw it right into the freezer and integrate those items into the menu too. So I have bought and tried some interesting things over the years. Good thing there are no picky eaters in this house!

The grocery store is like travelling the world! Products from around the globe to explore. A few inspirational ingredients and a quick search on the internet for the best recipe is my idea of a good time in the kitchen!

No comments: